Sunday, May 09, 2021

WHEN STATISTICS IS NO LONGER STATISTICS

KRR is no more.
Eleven young men joined the bank (erstwhile State Bank of Travancore) as Probationary Officers of the 1969 batch. KR Rajagopal was one among them and I was another. From day one, the similarity in our names caused confusion. In a small organization like SBT, paths are bound to cross and ours did, many times - in early career as second branch probationers and finally when both of us were on deputation to State Bank of Patiala. And every time we were together in the same office, cases of mistaken identity arose because of the name.
[The confusion persists even after his demise if the responses to the post in the WhatsApp group of SBP Retirees is anything to go by, as the admin had to step in and clarify that it is KR Rajagopal - and not KT Rajagopalan - who has breathed his last!]
The similarity, however, ended there. We were poles apart in our temperament and attitude. KRR was in a tearing hurry to get done with things, while I think I was organized - a euphemism for 'slow'. He was more mature, being over four years my senior - and, at barely 22, it makes a lot of difference - and more experienced - he had worked in SBI for four years - and more qualified - he came armed with a CAIIB.
Having been schooled in Malayalam medium and having studied in Kerala, I spoke English haltingly. Chennai-educated KRR would talk at a rapid pace - so rapid that those unfamiliar would not be able to catch what he said. It was his practice to pepper his conversation with words like fellow, bugger and guy, and without meaning it, keep mouthing expressions like bloody fool and blooming idiot. His favorite abuse was the Tamil-English hybrid "Ayogya rascal" and the pure vernacular "somberi". I used to call him Captain Haddock, the cussword-spewing, rum-guzzling sailor of Tintin comics.
He was tactful and worldly-wise; I was neither. I was kind of serious and he was fun-loving. When we were both second branch probationers in Ernakulam (Broadway) branch, KRR told me one Saturday, "They go ga-ga about Malayalam movies. We'll watch one today; you decide which." I took him to Laxman to see the Sathyan-starrer 'Odayilninnu' based on Kesavadev's novel by the same name. He sat through the tear-jerker of the movie where Sathyan, the rickshaw-puller, coughs and struggles. After the show, KRR cursed me in a blend of Tamil and English and added, "We go for movies for entertainment, not to see misery, squalor and sickness. Tomorrow I'll take you for one and show you the real stuff." We saw 'Revolver Rita' the next day and 'Thuppaakki Rangan' the next Sunday.
KRR used to smoke and a packet of ten Gold Flake cigarettes would last him barely a day. He enjoyed a glass or two of chilled beer too, but gave up these habits and turned a vegetarian soon. Somewhere along the way, he became very devout. I don't know if these changes had anything to do with his marriage. As Jaya was employed in Chennai and KRR got posted in other centres, he would cook for himself. And believe me, he was good! I have relished many meals that he would rustle up on holidays.
***
I had called KRR about two weeks back. We had spoken for a while before hanging up.
I am told he was infected by Covid and had been in the hospital for four days. The end came this morning when the oxygen levels dipped significantly. That was no way to go, my friend.
When we see the number of deaths flashing on the TV screen, it is cold statistics; when it turns out that one of the deceased is known to you, close to you, it ceases to be statistics.
***
Up there, Captain Haddock, I am sure you will find time to enjoy Quick-gun Murugan!

No comments: